Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche


Esterházy Károly College, Eger

The roots of Eger's higher educational tradition can be traced back to the middle of the eighteenth century.

The establishment of medical and theological training facilities was followed by the construction of an educational building capable of hosting a four-faculty university meeting all contemporary demands. While the Lyceum building complex , commissioned by Count Bishop Károly Eszterházy of Eger has been dedicated to higher education purposes since 1774, the Ratio Educationis issued in 1777 hindered the education promotion efforts. Instruction in philosophy and law was eliminated in 1784 and the seminary was transferred to Pest in 1786. However, Bishop Eszterházy remained faithful to his original goals and following the death of Joseph II in 1790 he launched the philosophy and law training again in addition to achieving the return of the seminary to the city. In 1828 Bishop László János Pyrker established the first Pedagogical College offering instruction in Hungarian, aiming not primarily at the training of primary school teachers (schoolmasters), but preparing students for the pedagogical profession. The institution was transferred to the Lyceum Building in 1852 where complemented by a demonstration elementary school functioned as an Archdiocesan Teachers' Training College until 1948. Furthermore, at the initiative of Bishop Lajos Szmrecsányi since 1921 the Lyceum building has hosted a Roman Catholic Vocational and Commerce School for Boys as well.


Powered by MediaWiki