Version vom 16. April 2016, 14:25 Uhr von WikiSysop (Diskussion | Beiträge) (Änderungen von ElizabethGriffin (Diskussion) wurden auf die letzte Version von WikiSysop zurückgesetzt)

(Unterschied) ← Nächstältere Version | Aktuelle Version (Unterschied) | Nächstjüngere Version → (Unterschied)
Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche


Denkmal in Vezekény

The community of Veľké Vozokany is certified to have existed by 1228. The Roman Catholic St.Nicolas Church is originally a Gothic structure that received Baroque modifications in 1742 and was further rebuilt in the 19th century. The whole settlement was once a property of the Abbey of Hronský Beňadik. On August 26th, 1652, one of the most significant battles against the Turks in the region was fought here, at a place called Lech near Starý háj (“Old Grove“). Adam Forgáč, then commander of the fortress of Nové Zámky, bravely led his troops, supported by local people and the garrisons of Vráble and Levice against Turkish troops commanded by Mustafa. Despite outnumbering their enemy almost three times, the Turks suffered a bitter defeat. The four Esterházy brothers were among those killed in battle and they were buried on November 26th, 1652 in the crypt of Trnava´s University Church. The battlefield was marked by a 5 metres tall obelisc commemorating the victory and the sacrifice of the four brothers, erected in 1734. In 1896 it was replaced by the memorial we can see today – a white travertine pedestal with a bronze sculpture of a lion crushing a Turkish battle flag. The pedestal bears a Latin inscription that reads: “Hold on, traveller, and read!“. This memorial has been built by Imrich Esterházy, Grand Provost of Esztergom and Bishop of Nitra.

An diesem Ort fand 1652 die Schlacht von Vezekény statt.

Powered by MediaWiki